The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is currently widening a 10-mile stretch of Interstate 10 in Austin County from the Brazos River to FM 3538, increasing the capacity to six lanes of main lane travel and four lanes of frontage road travel.
The project will also improve the mobility for motorists while reducing congestion and improving safety along this heavily-traveled corridor.
The project improvements include:
• Increasing the number of main lanes from four to six;
• Replacement of the existing Brazos River crossing;
• Construction of a new overpass and intersection at Chew Road;
• Reconstruction of intersections, including U-turns, at Bartlett Road, FM 1458, US90/Koy Road, Rexville Road, and FM 3538;
• Reconfiguring the intersections at FM1458 and Rexville Road so that cross travel underneath a
new I-10 overpass; and
• Ramp improvement to all entrance and exit ramps.
The contract is projected to be completed in three years. The total construction cost is $317 million.
Nighttime lane closures
The contractor has utilized nighttime lane closures of the main lanes of I-10. This allows the contractor a larger work zone to construct traffic detour pavement near the I-10 main lanes. Performing this work at night minimizes the impact to the traveling public and provides a safer work zone for the contractor.
Lane closure updates
• U-turn east of BNSF and Front Street will be closed for at least another six weeks to complete the drill shafts, columns and caps.
• Rexville Road is closed for six to nine months for demolition of the existing bridge and completion of the new Rexville Road overpass.
• Nightly I-10 WBML (right lane) from Mlcak to FM 1458 for setting single slope concrete barriers starting July 17. This will eventually continue down to Rexville Road with a total duration of 2-3 weeks.
• Nightly I-10 EBML (left lane) 4,000 feet east and west of FM 1458 for stripping grass and placing embankment for I-10 main lane detour. Total duration of four weeks.
• Southbound and northbound shoulders on SH 36 under I-H-10 overpass. Closure is for drill shaft operations. Total duration of four weeks.